Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Question about older model Altecs

  1. #1
    Inactive Member player8's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2003
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I recently bought a pair of Altecs from a local pawn shop and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to find out what model of speaker I bought. The man who sold me the speakers did not know too much about them. The sticker on the speakers says Altec Lansing 83. I don't know if that is the year they were made or what. The MSRP is listed at $199.99 (also listed on the sticker). Is there any way to tell?

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    Does it say on it anywhere where it was made?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member player8's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2003
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It says on the back: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Made in the USA. The SR # is 8834. Thanks for any further info.

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    The model number isn't familiar to me - can you post a picture?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member player8's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2003
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Actually, I don't have a scanner or a digital camera. I will see if I can get my hands on a digital camera.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member player8's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2003
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I looked through a whole mess of the web pages that came up in a google search. I found a picture that looks pretty similar to my speakers but the grille was on so I am not positive. I think I have the 310 3-way surrounds that were in the 83 catalog. Do any of you know what these speakes were initially for? How about the specs? Are these speakers any good? I use them as my rear speakers in my dorm room and they do the job. I have a pair of Bose 301's as my mains and they complement eachother quite well. The Altecs pack a lot more bass and have a deeper sound to them. The Boses' are more clear and hit the highs a little better.

    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member pkilcline's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 13th, 2005
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    better late than never...

    I have a pair those speakers. Bought them from Future Shop in WA around '97 -- they were like $175/pair.

    The Model 83, if I had to guess, refers to the 8" woofer and the 3-way speaker config -- 83.

    -pk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.